Missionary Kids Education Trust Fund
1. The Need:
- Many children of serving missionaries are now due for tertiary education.
- It is increasingly difficult for many missionary parents to educate their children
- Their resources are constrained and general cost of living is rising.
- The cost of quality (Christian) education has sky-rocketed in countries where most missionaries are located.
- This present situation may well be one of the biggest challenges that CAPRO missionaries are facing in their call and commitment to the work now and in the near future
- Current financial support, insufficient as it is, has been largely and rightly designated to core mission work such as church planting efforts
- Basic welfare of missionaries and their families has been given secondary focus by some supporters.
- The present school support system initiated by missionaries themselves inNigeria(Children Education Fund) is barely able to sustain their children through secondary education
2. The Solution:
- Establishment of an Education Trust Fund that will provide sustainable financial support to Missionary kids in tertiary institutions.
- Provide sustainable financial support to children of missionaries for their higher education.
- Mobilise and administer non-monetary gifts such as room and board, textbooks
- Provide tuition scholarships to deserving missionary kids
3. How does the Trust Fund work?
- The Trust Fund will be managed by a Board of Trustees
- Funding through charitable donations such as
- One time or structured/regular monetary gifts
- Gifts of stocks and bonds
- Memorial gifts, bequest and wills – Estate planning
- Monetary donations would be considered as principal invested in an interest yielding investment in the financial market
- Only interest would be available for scholarship. Interest may be reinvested in the Fund especially when all immediate scholarship needs are met
- Trust Board will report annual accounts to CAPRO and regular sponsors
- Scholarships will be offered to missionary kids that have obtained admission to tertiary institutions
- Strategy on split of funds for local or foreign institutions depends on needs and available resources
- Who is eligible- Children of CAPRO Missionaries
- Active Missionaries
- Missionaries who have passed on to glory
- Two different funds domiciled in bothNigeriaand theUnited States.
- The Nigeria fund will be available to take advantage of the current investment climate in Nigeria,
- UStrust fund will be used to serve as a fund basis for international donors that may be interested in participating, as well as basis for the disbursement of funds outside ofNigeriabecause of cross border international monetary constraints.
- How to apply
- Missionary Parents should inform Fund trustees of children going into universities a year in advance for planning purposes.
- Missionary parents should advise Board on prospective College admission and fees
- Trust board will review all applications and advise on grants
4. How Can You participate
- Tell Target Groups about the fund
- Individuals – Friends of CAPRO
- Christian Universities
- Christian corporate organizations
- Pray, Pray, Pray….Give, Give, Give